01 October 2009

Ian Rankin: DARK ENTRIES


It's been quite a while since I've posted a review one of the comic books I've read, and I'm almost sorry that I've that it's this graphic novel to signal their return. Ian Rankin's Dark Entries is billed as "a John Constantine novel." It's not, as I had initially expected it to be, anything that actually appeared in the Hellblazer comic, but a stand-alone item. It's also not very good. The plot is uninspired, to my feeling, and the whole thing reads, well...cheap. That's it, it all seems very cheap. I wouldn't know Ian Rankin from Adam, and I've even thought about reading anything else he's written, but I can tell you now that I never will. I mean, really: I know the British love them some Big Brother, but to set a Big Brother-style gameshow in Hell--I don't know, I really don't know. To be fair, I'm not super-familiar with Hellblazer, but what I have read has been much better than this. I thought about giving it an F, but it wasn't really quite that bad. So let's call it a D, and never speak of this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment