26 September 2009

Aleister Crowley: LIBER AL VEL LEGIS (THE BOOK OF THE LAW)


Just so any potential readers of Liber al vel Legis are aware: the Master Therion is indeed Aleister Crowley himself, making this book, yes, just a very wordy and draped-in-all-the-trappings-of-outlandish-spiritualism infomercial. Supposedly, the whole thing is about the law--only, the law is only, "Do what thou wilt," so the other, I don't know, hundred pages or so seem quite unnecessary. And if you look at it that way, they are. In fact, any way you look at it, they are. Those extra hundred pages exist only to:
1.) Build up the book's credibility, largely through loudly exclaiming, over and over again, "This book has a lot of credibility!"
2.) Build up enrollment in any and all classes taught by Crowley, because nobody but the Master Therion really understands the Law, and trying to implement it all on your own would only lead to disaster
3.) Feed Crowley's massive ego.
There. Now that all of that is out there...I don't know. There's not much more to say. This book was a present for a friend, who really wanted it (I'd suggested the Aleister Crowley reader as being the way to go, but I'm not going to dictate what presents somebody can or cannot choose after I've offered to let them do so). Did the Liber al vel Legis ignite in me any burning desire to go out and purchase the reader? No, not at all. In fact, I've just about run out of things to say about this book. I found it probably as uninspired as you're finding this review, and no, that's not just coincidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment